Aching joints. Sore muscles. Stiff back. These are some of the plenty of complaints most bodybuilders complain of. Injuries are a common issue with any type of athlete but is highly prevalent in the bodybuilding community due to the physical & psychological stress placed on the body. Injuries may cause you to lose the gains you have made, cause you to miss workouts, lead to poor sleeping habits, & even finish a promising career. This article will report some of the signs of common injuries & report how to prevent them from occurring.
TYPES OF INJURIES
1. Tendonitis: Inflammation of the tendon connecting muscle to bone.
2. Strain: Over-stretch/over-use of a muscle.
3. Sprain: Over-stretching a ligament connecting four bones.
4. Bursitis: Inflammation of the bursa sack which serves as padding between a muscle as well as a bony prominence.
5. Avulsion: Complete tearing of a muscle. Usually along the junction between the muscle & its tendon.
6. Contusion: Bruising caused by impact.
7. Fracture: Breakage of a bone. Can be complete, partial, or from compression.
1. Neck Strain: Injury resulting from undo stress placed on the muscles of the neck. Common in the work of shoulder shrugs, squats, etc.
2. Pectoral Tear: Injury resulting from avulsion/tearing of the tendon connecting the Pectoralis Major to the humerous. Most often seen in individuals who overuse anabolic steroids (discussed later). A minor tear will be painful & may demonstrate minimal bruising. A major tear will lead to a balling of the muscle towards the sternum with a significant amount of bruising.
3. Elbow Tendonitis:
* Triceps Tendonitis: Pain along the tendon of the triceps connecting in to the pointed part of the elbow. Resulting from overuse.
* Lateral Epicondylitis / Tennis Elbow: Pain along the lateral epicondyle (outer bone on the upper portion of the forearm). Results from strain placed along the origin of the extensor muscles of the forearm. Can ultimately lead to tearing of these muscles.
* Medial Epicondylitis/ Golfer’s Elbow: Pain at the medial epicondyle (inner bone on the upper portion of the forearm). Due to overuse of the flexor muscles of the wrist usually indicated by pain with gripping weights.
1. Back Strain/Sprain: Indicated by pain at middle of lower back, along top of gluteal muscles, or along paraspinal muscles. Usually resulting from lifting much weight or using poor form in the work of squats or deadlifts. Stopping an injury ought to be at the top of every bodybuilder’s list. The slogan “No pain, No gain” is not only false but a great way to hurt yourself. Here are a few ideas to prevent injury.
2. Knee Strain/Sprain: Various injuries include meniscal tears, patellar tendonitis, ACL tears, bursitis. Will be indicated by pain along the joint line of the knee, behind the knee joint, or below the knee cap along the patellar tendon.
3. Delayed Onset Muscle Soreness: Soreness in a muscle that has been worked. Usually occurs within 24-48 hours & ought to be gone within 72 hours. Resulting from build up of cortisol, lactic acid, or micro tears in the muscle.
Stopping an injury ought to be at the top of every bodybuilder’s list. The slogan “No pain, No gain” is not only false but a great way to hurt yourself. Here are a few ideas to prevent injury.
1. Warm Up: Perform 15-20 repetitions of the exercise you are preparing to do using light weight. You can also aid the warm-up method by walking on the treadmill for 5-10 minutes before your workout.
2. Stretch: After warming up, stretch the muscles you are preparing to work. Take the joint to the finish of its range of motion & hold for 30 seconds to 1 minute. It is important to hold the stretch & not bounce. Bouncing a non-warm, non-stretched muscle may finish up in injury.
3. Focus: Keep your mind on what you are doing. The simplest way to hurt yourself or someone else in the gym is to no pay attention to what you are doing. It can be simple to drop a plate or dumb bell on your foot in case you are watching the girls in the aerobics room or chatting together with your buddy. Maintaining focus will also help to keep your form proper & to give a safe spot to your partner.
4. Diet: A diet high in protein will help to maintain muscle fiber strength & help to promote a faster recovery. Supplements such as Glutamine will also help to speed recovery.
5. Shoes: DO NOT WEAR SANDALS TO THE GYM!!!! Open-toed shoes offer no protection whatsoever against falling plates, other people stepping on your foot, or catching a toenail on the fringe of a machine. Wear stiff-soled comfortable shoes. In case you do much walking or walking you ought to replace your shoes every 3-4 months.
6. Wrapping: Using knee wraps in the work of heavy squats help to protect your knee joints. They do this by helping to increase outside pressure & distribute strain across a bigger area. Wrist wraps are useful in the work of heavy lifts such as deadlifts or shrugs. They not only prevent you from dropping the weight but will let you lift heavier due to the fact that you don’t must worry about your grip.
WHAT TO DO IF INJURED
In case you do happen to get injured here are some of my recommendations to a speedy recovery.
1. Go see a doctor: If the injury is serious to see a doctor then you certainly need to. Postponing the inevitable will only delay recovery time & the amount of time to get back in the gym.
2. PRICE: This is a simple saying to follow after an injury
P: Protection: Protect the injured area from further injury by supporting it with a brace or splint.
R: Rest: Give the injured area time to heal. Usually signs ought to resolve within 48 hours.
I: Ice: Your best mate. Helps to limit inflammation, swelling, & internal blood loss caused by injury. Will also decrease amount of scar tissue that will circulate to the injured area.
C: Compression: Application of an ace wrap or towel placed over the injured area will help to decrease swelling.
E: Elevation: Elevate the injured area above the level of your heart. This will help to slow blood flow to the area which will help to decrease blood loss & swelling.
3. Use Common Sense: If performing a positive exercise exasperates your signs, don’t do it. Give your body a tiny therapeutic rest & let the injury heal. Missing one workout or exercise won’t cause you any harm.
I hope this article will help you the reader to know how to prevent injuries in the gym.