Nutrition is an integral part of peak performance. Correct foods allow the athlete a new found stamina and power they never knew existed. Nutrition when used properly separates an average athlete from a superior one.
The mind and body, similar to an automobile, always operate at top form when fueled with the top fuel. Anyone who has ever participated in a sport will attest to the fact that their performance is noticeably enhanced by proper diet and nutrition.
There are actual ways to improve performance even more so by learning how to boost Serotonin levels in the brain naturally and maintain balanced blood sugar levels in the body.
Your game is as good as the body and mind you bring to it. There is no need for special vitamins or drinks to improve your performance when you learn how to correctly use foods that are already in your kitchen. When used correctly they will naturally boost energy, maintain a calm demeanor and feed your brain. This is incredibly exciting once you learn how to use foods to work for you rather than against you.
Essential Rules for Maintaining a Strong Performance:
1- Protein: Learn how to use protein in your diet (protein from whole foods, rather than powders or bars). Protein enables you to maintain balanced blood sugar levels and is the precursor to Serotonin in the brain. Have a lean protein with every meal and snack for maximum effect.
2- Carbohydrates: All Carbs Are Not Create Equal- Along with lean protein, the right carbohydrates are essential to create a strong mind and body and supply the proper amount of energy which enables you to attain peak performance. Always choose the good carbohydrates, such as whole grains, fruits and vegetables, preferably ones that are lower on the glycemic index (lower in sugar). Avoid simple sugar carbohydrates (candy, cakes and sodas)at all cost to maintain balanced blood sugar levels.
3. Good Fats: Extra virgin olive oil, canola oil, flaxseed oil to name a few. Avocados, walnuts, almonds and salmon provide good fats as well.
4. Avoid Sugar Substitutes: These chemical food enhancers interfere with brain power and often create anxiety and irritability. They will affect your performance in a negative way and are not in your best interest to ingest.
5. Hydrate with Pure Water: Even slight dehydration affects your game by slowing you down and interfering with thought processes. A well hydrated body is calmer, more alert and able to withstand stress. Stamina will increase when the body is properly hydrated.
6. Never Skip Meals: When one skips meals, the adrenal gland releases adrenaline into the body to compensate for lack of fuel. This chemical leads to feelings of anxiety, excitability, racing heart and may interfere with your performance.
7. Avoid Protein Drinks and Bars for Quick Energy: They offer a quick boost for about 10 minutes and in less than an hour one crashes both mentally and physically.
8. Retrain the Brain- Learn how to tame an overactive mind filled with unproductive/negative thoughts. Your brain determines your performance. Learn to talk back to that mind and train it to work for you. By doing so, you actually enhance your performance, which always begins with a thought.
You have much more power over your performance than you could ever imagine. You have the tools and they are all natural. These tools enable you to feel better, achieve peak performance in your game, not just “once in a while” but all the time. By making these few simple choices, you make the choice stay at top form, every game. These choices enable you to create a mind and body that remains in the zone, without the need for artificial enhancement.
Dr. Ronnie Freedman